It is very interesting to know Java history. Java Programming Language was written by James Gosling along with two other person ‘Mike Sheridan‘ and ‘Patrick Naughton‘, while they were working at Sun Microsystems. Initially it was named oak Programming Language.
1) James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991. The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
2) Originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
3) Firstly, it was called "Greentalk" and file extension was .gt.
4) After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
5) Then in 1995, Oak was renamed as "Java" .
Why we call it Java 2, Java 5, Java 6, Java 7 and Java 8, not their actual version number which 1.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8?
Java 1.0 and 1.1 were Java. When Java 1.2 was released it had a lots of changes and marketers/developers wanted a new name so they called it Java 2 (J2SE), remove the numeric before decimal.
This was not the condition when Java 1.3 and Java 1.4 were released hence they were never called Java 3 and Java 4, but they were still Java 2.
When Java 5 was released, once again it was having a lots of changes for the developer/marketers and need a new name. The next number in sequence was 3, but calling Java 1.5 as Java 3 was confusing hence a decision was made to keep the naming as per version number and till now the legacy continues.
Java is implemented over a number of places in modern world. It is implemented as Standalone Application, Web Application, Enterprise Application and Mobile Application. Games, Smart Card, Embedded System, Robotics, Desktop, etc.❮Previous Next ❯