It is very interesting to know Java history. Java Programming Language was written by James Gosling along with two other person ‘Mike Sheridan‘ and ‘Patrick Naughton‘, while they were working at Sun Microsystems. Initially it was named oak Programming Language.
1) James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991. The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
2) Originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
3) Firstly, it was called "Greentalk" and file extension was .gt.
4) After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
5) Then in 1995, Oak was renamed as "Java" .
Java Versions 1.0 and 1.1 was released in the year 1996 for Linux, Solaris, Mac and Windows.
Java version 1.2 (Commonly called as java 2) was released in the year 1998.
Java Version 1.3 codename Kestrel was released in the year 2000.
Java Version 1.4 codename Merlin was released in the year 2002.
Java Version 1.5/Java SE 5 codename ‘Tiger’ was released in the year 2004.
Java Version 1.6/Java SE 6 Codename ‘Mustang’ was released in the year 2006.
Java Version 1.7/Java SE 7 Codename ‘Dolphin’ was released in the year 2011.
Java Version 1.8/Java SE 8 was released the year 2015.
Java Version 1.9/Java SE 9 was released in September 2017.
Java Version 1.10/Java SE 10 was released in March 2018.
Java Version 1.11/Java SE 11 was released in September 2018.
Java Version 1.12/Java SE 12 will be released in March 2019.